This week I was honored to receive the Beautiful Blogger Award from Amanda at Tales from the Crib. With every honor comes responsibility. Instead of a speech, it’s my duty to share seven little known facts about myself and then nominate other great blogs.
So, here’s my list of random things. Let’s see how many of these things are new to you.
- I have a secret desire (or maybe it’s not-so-secret desire because I tell people all the time) to have a British accent. Don’t start making fun of me or calling me Madonna yet. My husband threatened to switch seats on the plane if I didn’t stop using my faux accent on the flight home from London. I just think everything coming out of your mouth sounds smarter if you say it with a little, Super Nanny twang.
- I always thought I’d have all boys. Growing up I was mostly a tomboy – I liked sports, getting dirty, and playing outside. My neighborhood was predominantly male and I grew up around boys. As a result, I had lots of “guy friends” over the years and always pictured myself raising boys since I wasn’t a girly-girl. I’m not at all disappointed to raise girls and have loved watching them be tough but girly (i.e. afraid of spiders but not intimated to compete with the boys.)
- I have a HUGE fear of birds. My husband thinks it’s ridiculous that such a fearless person can turn into a mess when a bird gets too close for comfort. Where does this crazy fear come from? I was attacked by a flock of geese when I was four and they pecked holes in my tights. So, much for a trip to the park to feed the ducks. As an adult, my husband coaxed me into the aviary at the Wild Animal Park in San Diego to overcome my fear. Immediately upon entering the closed facility a bird swooped down from a corner and tried to nest in my hair. (My husband says it tried to land on my shoulder, but I swear it was trying to birth its young in my lovely fro.) Needless to say, I ran out screaming, nearly wiping out a few small children in my pathway to the exit.
- I don’t like pie. I’ve actually confessed this one before but it’s always so shocking to people.
- I don’t like baseball either. But I’m totally patriotic. I promise. I vote. I pay taxes.
- I don’t know how to sing. My husband and kids are all are great singers. It must be paternally genetic or something. My side of the family hardly sings, “Happy Birthday” and would never be caught dead singing Christmas carols. I adore that my husband sings my girls to sleep most nights. I’m not jealous at all. It’s an honor I can only adore.
- I cry every year on the first day of school. I’m not entirely sure what it is that gets the waterworks flowing each fall, but it’s real. My “baby” starts kindergarten this fall and I asked my husband to take the day off work to help me cope. I started off asking for a week, so I figure I’ve made progress. What a wuss, I know.
Blogs I think I pretty fantastic in no particular order
- Tales from the Crib (of course)
- Coupon Geek
- Coupon Gal
- Safely Gathered In
- Mormon Mommy Blogs
- Save at Home Mommy
- Pinching Your Pennies
- Org Junkie
10. Mom’s Favorite Stuff
11. Hair Today (even though she doesn’t post anymore L)
12. Procrastinating Writers
13. Stress Tips
14. Marking Time
15. All of my friends personal blogs
Question: How many of my “seven things” were new to you? Did I surprise anyone?